ShareX is a popular open source screenshot app. The latest version, ShareX 13.7.0, introduced support for capturing screenshots of some games that refused to work with the app in previous versions, among other new features.
ShareX 13.7 is available as a portable application, which users can run from any location, and as an installer. The new version can be installed over the existing version. Users can select About in the interface to view the current version and check for updates.
The official changelog lists many entries. One of the main improvements in ShareX 13.7 is the ability to capture screenshots in full screen games that returned black screenshots in previous versions. Minecraft is mentioned specifically by the developers, but there are others.
Added the “Borderless window” tool. Some games such as Minecraft do not allow you to take screenshots (screenshots appear black) when running in exclusive fullscreen mode and there is also no in-game setting for full screen without border. Therefore, we have written this tool to allow us to make the game borderless in full screen and allow us to take screenshots of it.
ShareX supports capturing screenshots, animated GIFs, and screen videos. Screenshots can be downloaded or stored locally using the app.
The application lists all the captures in its interface. The new ‘Thumbnails click action’ setting in Application settings> Main window> Thumbnails display gives users the option to toggle the default click action, which opens the selected item in the viewer, to another default action; these include opening the file, modifying it, or opening its folder among other options.
Here is the list of other notable changes in ShareX 13.7:
- New option “automatically copy the image to the clipboard” in the image editor.
- Administrators can set parameters through the registry: disable update checks, disable downloads, personal paths are supported in this initial release.
- New replacement color image effect.
- Process names are now listed in history statistics; this reveals the main process screens from which were captured.
- The status bar menu has removed Debug, Donate, Twitter, Discord, and About items to make it more compact.
- The color picker dialog box remembers the selection of the color palette mode.
- The History window has a View Statistics button.
ShareX is a powerful free and open source screenshot app. New users may be overwhelmed by the immense functionality, but it is possible to start using a fraction of the features only at first to get used to the core feature set before exploring all of the other options provided by the program.
Now you: what screen capture software do you use? (via Deskmodder)